G5 1.8 dual startup problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel core duo macbook pro 2 ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd | Quicksilver 1ghz DP, 1.25 gb ram, 200gb hd
Hi,
I recently got a broken 1.8 dual processor g5 off of ebay on the cheap.. I figured I could possibly fix it up as I have taken apart a few mac imacs and a mac desktop..I hooked up a hard drive and It came with the wrong ram and only one stick at that and would not power on.. so I purchased 2 512mb PC3200 400mhz 184 pin dimms off ebay that were a pull from an iMac G5.

well. I put the Ram in the way Apple support says, logic board lit, power light came on this time got a startup chime and got a blinking system folder.. I have an OS 10.3 CD (and I had just reloaded it on a G3 system of mine last night) I put in the CD and got to the apple start up and.. I don't know how to describe it. The Apple icon shows up normal on the grey screen, then moves down and to the right about 10 to 20 pixels. It left odd spots on the top left area of the screen where the pixels moved from (you can see in the pic the dark section it left on the top left).

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/shinnism/applemoving.jpg

After that sometimes it goes to the screen with a slashed circle sometimes it never gets there. The CD key on my keyboard only opens the drive when I hold it on startup. Using an old old imac hardware diagnostic CD it went to mac firmware which i have never been to before and it said:

"Invalid Memory Access
Srr0:00000000.00000000.8ac4 Srr1:.0000(ect..)
date set to 1904"

I tried other ram slots
reset the Pram
reset the NVram
reset the PMU
replaced the battery
nothing helped.

just curious if anyone had any other ideas. I figured I would try all possabilities or see if someone knew the answer before I pay some money for someone else to diagnose for me.

.. ah also I forgot to add one of the memory slots is missing a side latch but I still got the memory in there tight. Someone told me it shouldn't be an issue if I don't move it around too much.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is just a guess but that on the screen looks like video card issues.

OP
thppt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
intel core duo macbook pro 2 ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd | Quicksilver 1ghz DP, 1.25 gb ram, 200gb hd
thanks dtravis,
I'll see if I can find something compatible.. I think my friend has a g5 I wonder if his would work.. I'll have to get his system specs my memory is very rusty.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There could be more than one issue, but that screen shot sure reminds me of a video Chipset issue. If the RAM is rusty, that is not a good thing either.

OP
thppt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I was thinking about that too.. I'll probably take it to the local apple reseller and see what they think. They may charge a bit to look but it could save me money in the long run. I wanted new ram but they only sold 1gb modules and wanted $160.00 for two.. which would have amounted to almost the whole price of the computer. The ones I have look brand new but I guess you never know whats wrong.

I am curious though when you had the video problem did the computer still start up or flake out in the same spot mine does?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.