Corrupted files, help please!

Reaction score
I wanted to reinstall windows on my bootcamp partition because my windows was buggy as **** and won't stop lagging (Windows XP SP2).

I put my windows installation CD in and start reinstalling windows. I choose wich partition I want to install windows on (wich is normal) then my mac restart wich is also normal. It goes to a white screen to a black screen with the blinking bar to ''press any key to boot windows XP...'', I press Space then this message appear :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt :
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I'm stuck there... I tried to eject my windows CD, pop MACOSX CD in to actually boot from it and it wont work either.

I would also like to start all over again, erase my windows partition and only works with OSX because Windows is seriously weak.

Hopefully, everything has been backed up on my external HDD but I really need my computer to works so if anyone as any tips, I would really appreciate!!

Thanks alot!
Mo

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason you received that error message from Windows is because your "Boot.ini" file is either missing or incorrect. That file is a hidden system text file placed in the root of drive c. It tells Windows where its system folder is and also its boot files. That's why Windows is telling you that it can't find the hall.dll file.

To remove the Boot Camp partition:

Boot to OS X. Run the boot camp assistant and select "create partition". Then select "restore". That will remove the entire boot camp partition including Windows. The entire hard drive will be restored to OS X.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
The problem is I can't boot to OS X it just automatically goes to the windows Setup, what should I do to be able to boot into MAC OSX?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reboot from Windows. Hold down the "OPTION" key on your keyboard. Move the arrow from the BC partition to OS X and press enter.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
It doesnt seem to work :(

Each time I start my mac, it goes straight to the windows setup, even if I have the OSX install CD in.

The only thing that works is when I hold down the mouse button to eject the CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.