I am amazed at how many people reinstall the OS when problems strike.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Reinstalling the OS is among the last steps to take when problems strike... many users jump to this step. There are perhaps 20 other things to try first when problems strike.

Ok, I know this because I'm reading "Mac OSX Essentials- a guide to supporting and troubleshooting Mac OSX 10.4". An apple training series book... (my test is Friday btw)... much of the book applies to OS 10.5 also... which will be my next test :)

Link

check table of contents, and the troubleshooting flowchart in appendix A...

I see it only shows a page or two... but the point is, reinstalling the OS is a last resort. :)

google troubleshoot osx for some useful links.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
In many cases, people can reinstall an OS in less time than it takes to figure out a problem. I know I typically reinstalled Windows 98 about every couple months regardless of if I even had a problem. Of course, that OS was junk, but you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I see it only shows a page or two... but the point is, reinstalling the OS is a last resort. :)

and yet it will continually be offered as an initial step.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's a holdover method from the Windows days. Whenever Windows had any issues, people would reinstall. These people bring this same mentality over to OS X, not realizing that it's a far more drastic and unnecessary step for Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I am used to it because of my Windows days.

Sometimes it does feel good to just start off clean though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I never wipe OS X unless the hard drive wears out and I have to get a new one or a new major release comes out and I try to tell people the alternatives when a problem arises.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I reformatted my PowerBook recently... it was the first and only time I've done it in the almost 3 and a half years I've had it.

And that was only after I completed all of the steps outlined in this sticky thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what kills me is that Apple will tell you to do an archive and install within an hour of troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
what kills me is that Apple will tell you to do an archive and install within an hour of troubleshooting.
That is the sign of a tech that is being pressured to 'resolve' an issue within a preset time limit given to them by management... or they could just be lazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, it's all about metrics. This is pervasive throughout the industry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I think it's sad because it prevents people from learning how to recover from mistakes and how their system works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I haven't yet had to wipe my Macs clean and start fresh except for a new HD in my Mini the day I bought it home (went from a 60Gb to a 160Gb drive). I've gotten god at formatting and reinstalling XP (supporting friends systems) that I finally have a computer here dedicated to breaking then fixing XP without formatting. I'ts not the preferred method anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I was told by a 'genius' to archive and install to fix my dodgy inverter and non-functioning superdrive... he never explained how exactly I should do that, or how that will solve any of my problems. On the plus side he did manage to fix a broken key on my keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
apart from updates, and cloning the start-up disk on to a bigger drive I have never done a fresh install on my old G4, and I have had it 4 years now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.