Just re-installed OSX, now problem mounting disks

Reaction score
So after about 5 years of owning my powerbook, I decided it was time to re-install OSX to fix some ongoing problems I was having. It fixed all the problems, but created more!

I am running Panther 10.3.9 and am having issues mounting .dmg disks to my desktop (or anywhere). For instance, I download firefox from the mozilla website only to get error messages like 'the following disk images failed to mount, no mountable file systems' or 'corrupt image'
This has happened with a number of applications I have tried to download, but has let one or two through with no issues.

ALSO, my IPOD classic will not mount as well. But gives me an error message saying I have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click ignote. but upon doing that, I get nothing. This happened all at once so I know its not a prior mishap.

ALSO, upon trying to download Itunes8 an error message reads something along the lines of, cannot install Itunes8 because my operating system is out of date... now... JUST before reinstalling OSX I had Itunes 7 working perfectly.

Ughhhh.. what a show. If anyone has ANY advice whatsoever, it would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nic
N00b

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
did you try fixing permissions using disk utility?

btw, I liked panther. Solid and fast. Just like tiger. ;)

fyi, reinstalling the OS is among the last step to take... many people do that when they did not need too. There are perhaps 20 other things to try first when problems strike.

OP
N
Reaction score
ya, that was one of the first things I tried. it seemed to 'fix' some things, but none of the issues I wrote about.

any other tips?

thus far, I like Panther as well... no real complaints, til now haha. I actually did the install again for the dumbest reason ever. A long time ago, I had downloaded a bunch of fonts for photoshop. Long story short, somehow all the text everywhere changed to this brutal black metal font that I could barely read. I literally tried EVERYTHING to get it back to default, but no luck.... hah

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.