OS X Networking

M

mac_newbie

Ok, I'm new, but I thought this would solve it!

I opened the entire firewall in OS X and clicked all FTP, file sharing, windows sharing, printer sharing, etc to be allowed. I got my IP address. But somehow I still can not ftp into my iMac from either of my Windows machines on my little network. (the windows machines can ping/ftp to each other fine, just not to the iMac). Any ideas what's going on???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
do you have filesharing on on the pcs? how are they connecting, wireless? you can try turning off the firewall on the mac, and you may have to go into network prefs on the mac and manually set up a new location.

OP
M

mac_newbie

Macman said:
do you have filesharing on on the pcs? how are they connecting, wireless? you can try turning off the firewall on the mac, and you may have to go into network prefs on the mac and manually set up a new location.

Yes, I have several shared folders on the Windows pcs. I can get to them from the other Windows machines, but not from the iMac. They are connected via a simple Netgear FVS318 firewall/router (non-wireless). I have the iMac's firewall off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in network preferences, have you set up your location and settings?

OP
M

mac_newbie

I added a location name the same as on the Windows pcs if that's what you mean.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, but I think you also have to manually input the ip of the main pc for the mac to connect to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
System Preferences>Network>built in ethernet, click configure>tcp/ip tab>pop up, select using dhcp, I think its that one, then put in the ip address. wait, it also depends on what you wanna do, or why you wanna connect them? for example filesharing, then through hich method, ie: ftp, smb(windows file sharing) , appleshare, LPR(for printing),or http(web pages), so what are you intending to do again?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.