Replace broken hinge

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Well here is my problem. My Ti powerbook just fell of the couch. The fell is about a foot and a half. It slip off the couch and hit the carpeted floor face open (face down). After picking it up all appears to be working fine. That was until I closed the lid. That is when I found that the hinge on the left side is broken. The powerbook is still usable. I fear that with the broken hinge, it will only get worse and the other hinge may break.

I believe that I read someone on this site replaced their hinges. How easy is it replace the hinges and how expensive are they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
It's not easy.. my powerbook definitely does not look the same after I replaced it, but it still works and the hinge is all good now. I have replaced both hinges since I've had it.. and doing it through Apple is expensive although they do make it look a lot better than I did. A great place to get hinges is from this guy on eBay 'ibiricu', just search for his items on eBay. He sells them for $95 for 2 hinges, when it will usually cost you at least $130 for one hinge normally.

Ill email you the instructions on how to replace them once you have the hinges.

OP
rman

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Thank you, for your help Murlyn.

I can't believe that little fall cause thaqt kind of damage. :(

Well, it looks like I will be in the market to replace it sooner than I wanted to. lol

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.