I had it with PPC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Ok look....
My iBook was nice, it was...
But I can't get over how amazing macbooks are. I know 2 months ago I was so against getting one, but the DDR2 RAM makes all of the difference IN THE WORLD! Yeah the PPC is great for web browsing and stuff, and yeah this screen isn't 15"...But with the price people are paying for powerbooks on ebay...Why wouldn't you just spend the extra $120 and get a macbook like I have, that zips through programs and you can even run windows on it? I sold my iBook on eBay for $600...and promptly bought a mint condition macbook for an exta $50...makes no sense to me...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One of the smartest moves Steve Jobs has made was switching to Intel CPUs. That opened the market up to many potential PC buyers (including myself). Isn't it great to be able to run OS X on your MacBook and at the same time know that you can also run Windows for that occasional game? Not that any of us ever plays games. O:)

Regards.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
I KNOW!!!! I love the keyboard too...I hated it at first but it's so much better than any other keyboard I've ever used and the wide 13.3" screen makes so much more sense! It's so much easier on the eyes! I'm going to be keeping this one for a long, long time :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Night and day...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes and with Classic on Intel working so well for emulating OS 9. (Well for me anyways) I see no need to go for PPC unless your budget says otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Ok look....
My iBook was nice, it was...
But I can't get over how amazing macbooks are. I know 2 months ago I was so against getting one, but the DDR2 RAM makes all of the difference IN THE WORLD! Yeah the PPC is great for web browsing and stuff, and yeah this screen isn't 15"...But with the price people are paying for powerbooks on ebay...Why wouldn't you just spend the extra $120 and get a macbook like I have, that zips through programs and you can even run windows on it? I sold my iBook on eBay for $600...and promptly bought a mint condition macbook for an exta $50...makes no sense to me...

The PowerBook G4 has a dedicated video card, whereas the MacBook does not. For this reason, Universal Binary games for Mac OS X actually perform better on the old PowerBooks than they do on current MacBooks. And I honestly never encountered sluggishness with my old PowerBook in any programs that weren't performing tasks that would take upwards of several seconds on any setup, so I really don't think CPU is that much a bottleneck for most applications. Plus you get a better screen. All that for less money, and the PowerBook still looks better than the MacBook. I can see people doing it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
The PowerBook G4 has a dedicated video card, whereas the MacBook does not. For this reason, Universal Binary games for Mac OS X actually perform better on the old PowerBooks than they do on current MacBooks. :p

This is one of the main reasons that i went with the MBP over the MB. And the firewire 800 was definitely a plus. I use externals a lot for music while DJ'in so every little bit of speed helps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
the Intel processors are top notch.

IBM and Motorola could not make a decent processor for Mac, that's for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
the Intel processors are top notch.

IBM and Motorola could not make a decent processor for Mac, that's for sure.

I find this kind of amusing since the G5 was the first 64-bit processor in general consumer use and the fastest desktop processor for quite a while before AMD gave their Opteron line a major boost in 2004 or so. And both IBM and AMD made multicore processing a point of interest before Intel came late to the party. Intel's offerings for desktops at the time were almost laughable in comparison. It was only relatively recently with the shift to the Core (2) technology that Intel was finally able to make a decent processor for desktop workstations.

That said, the G4 being kept in Apple's notebooks for so long was pushing it. The Pentium M was actually quite deserving of praise, and not surprisingly, the best thing Intel did with that processor was abandon the approach their desktop processors were taking at the time.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not knocking PPC. A couple of years ago I'd be all about PPC still. Sadly PPC is outdated for what I need a computer for and I agree the G4 being kept for so long was pushing it. I mean I don't know how the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz powerbooks run Leopard, but the iBook ran Leopard very slowly and that was with 1.42 GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. But think about it...2004 was 4 years ago, and you know how fast technology progresses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerPC is not outdated; it's simply a vague name given to a family of architectures. The PowerPC processors from 4 years ago are outdated. For examples of "PowerPC" processors still in use by machines today, you need only look at the PS3 or Xbox 360.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm not knocking PPC. A couple of years ago I'd be all about PPC still. Sadly PPC is outdated for what I need a computer for and I agree the G4 being kept for so long was pushing it. I mean I don't know how the 1.5 and 1.67 GHz powerbooks run Leopard, but the iBook ran Leopard very slowly and that was with 1.42 GHz and 1.5GB of RAM. But think about it...2004 was 4 years ago, and you know how fast technology progresses.

Something else must be going on there. Leopard runs fine on my 1Ghz G4 iBook with 1Gb of RAM. I'm not playing games with it or anything, just mail and web surfing while on the road, but it is far from sluggish or even slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.