need help with mac pro and good sound

Reaction score
Hope I'm doing this the right way. Never used a forum before. Anyway, I have a mac pro on order and I need help on the sound issue. I would like to use home speakers ( left, right, and sub) and somehow hook them into my mac. Only problem is that I have no clue as to how to go about doing this. I have read about firewire and usb solutions but I think I'm in way over my head on all the technical aspects. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't do any recording or making music. I just love listening to music and want a great sound system to enjoy the music with. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you maybe supply us with a model and make of the speakers?

The best idea would be to get a minijack to rca cable. You should be able to get it at any decent audio or computer store. Heres an example: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006YZ3Y/?tag=macforums0e4-20

When you get the cable: Connect the jack side (single pin thingy) to the sound output on the rear of the mac pro, and the RCA side (the two bigger plugs) to the input on your amp of your speakers. You should be all set then!

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.