Duplicate iTunes Library on PC & Mac

Reaction score
I have a large music library on an external drive. Is it possible to use this drive with my iTunes on both my Mac Mini at home and my Windows PC at work? I would like to have all the same playlists on both machines.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Yes. Just uncheck the option to copy music to your iTunes Music Folder.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes. Just uncheck the option to copy music to your iTunes Music Folder.

Right. I understand how to get the PC to draw music from the external, but don't I have to copy the Library file in order to get all the playlists, etc. to be the same on both machines? Right now all that lives on the external are the actual music files. All other iTunes files (including the "iTunes Library" file) live in Mac Hard Drive/Users/[my username]/Music/iTunes. Can I simply copy that Library file to the PC (replacing the existing Library file) and have it all set up? I am reluctant to just try it for fear of losing my music.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Right. I understand how to get the PC to draw music from the external, but don't I have to copy the Library file in order to get all the playlists, etc. to be the same on both machines? Right now all that lives on the external are the actual music files. All other iTunes files (including the "iTunes Library" file) live in Mac Hard Drive/Users/[my username]/Music/iTunes. Can I simply copy that Library file to the PC (replacing the existing Library file) and have it all set up? I am reluctant to just try it for fear of losing my music.

Well for starters, if all your music is on that one drive and you don't have a backup, then you should be more fearful of losing your music than you are. Drop it while transporting it... gets stolen... hard drive crashes.. whatever... it's all lost.

As for "identical" Libraries... I'm skeptical that you can merely copy all the library files from OS X to Windows. Each OS has different directory structures just for starters. Your best bet is to just drop the music files into iTunes on each computer, then export your playlists on one and import them on the other. If yer lucky, they'll work. If not, maybe it will at least ask you to locate the "missing" songs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.