Smashed screen, busted case

Reaction score
A jerk at college crunched my son's new Macbook pro with a table. I haven't seen it, but he says the hard drive is probably okay, but the case is bent (at an angle!) and the screen is destroyed. Leaving aside the legal part of this, is it worth trying to find a used Macbook pro and switch out the hard drive or something? Aside from the hard drive, is there anything else we should try to rescue?

Thanks for any advice.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I would go get an estimate to see how much it would cost to repair the case and the screen. If it's too much you might be better off getting a new MB or MBP used or brand spanking new. >_<"

Need to get these thing insured especially since they cost so much. >_>"

Reaction score
happened to me

Atleast my lcd was the only thing visibly wrong.
I think it messed up a few other things, that eventually went wrong, but applecare gave me the benefit of the doubt.
apple charged $700 something to replace the screen and have it covered under my applecare warranty (most expensive piece of the comp to fix).
After a bit of talking, I got them to tell me that if I took it to a third party place, which had a year or two warranty on their screens, that it would void out my warranty for the screen, but might for some stuff around the screen (isight and whatever else is around the screen). But Not my entire comp, plus it was about 300 cheaper.

I used macservice.com
later on, I experienced some problems with my hd, isight, and some other misc problems that might have been related to the stepping.

If you are going to cannibalize it, pull out the ram, easy enough, and make sure you back up your files.

Christmas is just around the corner, and everyone loves a new macbook

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Katie:

A jerk at college crunched my son's new Macbook pro with a table. I haven't seen it, but he says the hard drive is probably okay, but the case is bent (at an angle!) and the screen is destroyed. Leaving aside the legal part of this, is it worth trying to find a used Macbook pro and switch out the hard drive or something? Aside from the hard drive, is there anything else we should try to rescue?

Thanks for any advice.

Without any kind of compensation or insurance, your son's machine is probably going to be too expensive to repair. Probably well over $1000.00. Chances are if the case is bent there may be internal damage as well. I would write it off. A used MacBook Pro that's any good is going to cost you $$$. (resale value on MBP is high)

If your son needs a computer for college (and I hate to suggest this) I would buy him a PC machine instead. Look around and compare prices.

No one should send their son or daughter to college with a brand new Mac or PC and not have this insurance:

http://www.safeware.com/

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I feel very sorry for your sons "loss". The hard drive is what you need. Do whatever you can to preserve it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to each of you for your advice. You're right, we should've gotten insurance--and we will, if he gets another computer. And we'll go to a mac store to see what they say still works. Thanks, again. --Katie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
If you have homeowner's insurance, your child's property in a dorm may be covered under that. Many do. You'll have to check with the company; the worst they could say is no.

Certain credit cards also insure purchases for short periods (~90 days or so) which might apply if it's brand new. It's worth a call if you used an AmEx or a higher-end-type Visa or MasterCard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I don't know why no one offered this, but the "jerk" you're talking about should handle the expenses of that. The outcome was totally not beneficial for your son, and that's why he should have blamed the "jerk", took money from him and bought a whole new MacBook Pro or even a simple MacBook.

Again, the rule is, YOU BROKE IT? YOU FIX IT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.