should panther come with OS 9?

M

missmelody

I recently bought a couple of iBook g4's and realized that after loading, OS 9 was not on the system. I was wondering if I need to purchase 9, which does not make sense to me, or whether it should have come pre-loaded. I have done what many have told me and gone into the settings just to find that there seems to be no actual 9....i don't know?! I ordinarily wouldn't care, but I have programs that only run in 9 as updates were never made.

HELP!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
insert the panther install disc 1, or any os install disc that came with the ibook, and click install classic support installer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
If you buy Panther separately, it doesn't include OS9.

But it should be initially installed on a new bought system, and should also be on the software restore disc...

...unless Apple changed that with newer models, as OS9 for them is officially dead.

OP
M

missmelody

Thanks! re: should panther come with OS 9

So, i think i have it figured, thanks for your help. Just finding it strange that the mac guy I bought them from couldn't tell me that. ?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.