Hotmail as default mailto client in Safari or Firefox

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one!
A few months ago I sat down with my uncle and aunt to discuss replacing their aging Windows XP laptop, which was dying. After talking to them I advised them to get an iMac, as it does everything they needed and was very easy to learn to use (a key point for my uncle). They have absolutely loved it, and as a side benefit, it's made my life easier because they have now called me only once for problems. That one call is why I'm posting here. I'm mainly a linux user, and I also know windows quite well, but I admit that I'm not as familiar with OSX.

My uncle uses Hotmail, and wants to be able to have it open up when he clicks on a link in Safari (or Firefox). I've determined that this will not be a simple, straightforward thing to do. I have found a program called Webmailer (put out by Belkadan Software (www.belkadan.com). I was wondering if anybody had any experience with the program, or even another way to accomplish what I'm trying to do here.

I appreciate any suggestions (other than "why not get him off hotmail?" - not an option, unfortunately ;) )

Thanks!

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one!
Ah well. I was hoping that somebody had some experience with this program and/or problem. I'm going to install the program tonight, I will post about the experience and how well it performs.

Reaction score
I use Gmail has my primary email app and have installed the Google Toolbar which redirects email links to my Gmail account.

There might be a Hotmail toolbar which you can install with your browser and it will redirect those links. Just a thought...

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't have one!
A successful report. Webmailer worked like a charm. There are several choices for what you want to use for your default email. Hotmail was one of them, and without any changes to the default settings for it it worked perfectly.

One thing I did find was that you had to open up the preference pane (this is actually what Webmailer is) at the top there is a pulldown menu. The default is Mail, it has to be changed to Webmailer for your settings to take effect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.