G5 and 3rd party airport problems

D

dangerousd

Hello,

I have a Minitar 802.11g wireless PCI card that uses the Broadcom chipset and when I install it into my G4 the computer detects it as a airport card and everything works fine. But I just bought a G5 (with 10.3.7 installed)and when I install the Minitar PCI card into the G5 it will not boot, when I press the power button, the white LED lights ups then turns off immediately. Without the PCI card installed everything works fine.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
have you tried with a Apple AirPort Card instead?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
NightCrawler said:
have you tried with a Apple AirPort Card instead?

Don't you think that, if he had an Airport card, he wouldn't need a PCI WLAN card?!

@dangerousd:
Depending on which G5 you have, you either have PCI (like the G4) or PCI-X slots. PCI-X should be compatible, but I think that some PCI cards use higher voltages than PCI-X slots deliver. This could be the problem...

Allthough I'm not totally sure about this, maybe somebody else knows more about it...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.