/NET folder Aggravation

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post, and especially with regards to MAC OS X, please try to be just a little patient with me. Thank you and thank you for your help.

Here is my situation. I have a Linux network with many mount points in both Samba and NFS. The entry point for these shares on the Linux servers is "/NET". This has been functionning this way for a very long time and included in here are mount points for MAC and Windows.

We have many scripts where "/NET" as the entry point is hard-coded. Changing all of them is an almost unsurmountable task.

Now with the latest updates to MAC OS X.5, the devs decided to go ahead and create their own "/net" folder and incorporate it as a "necessary hard-coded folder" in the OS itself.

I have tried to rename/remove, move, delete... said folder on the OS X.5 machine, but to no avail. If I mount it as "/NET" via Samba/NFS the OS recognizes 2 different folders... I.E. 1 in capitals and 1 in "non-capitals". This is outside of the Regular Unix/Linux behaviour and is IMO changing the OS base of MAC OS.

Does anyone know of a way- tweak, workaround, or anything else I can do, to "correct" this situation? I'll go as far as I need to (or just about) to resolve this. I am thinking maybe in Single User mode, mod the OS to no longer look for this folder and "hard-code" a different folder to the search path if required...

Thank you in advance and sorry about the Long post.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Remember in Unix you can have an upper case NET and a lower case net, both of which are different. Have you tried mounting your file system and creating the /NET as a link to the mounted file system. There by creating the allusion of the file system called /NET.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Rman, that was a good idea, but alas I had already thought it and it didn't work.

I have tried to rename/remove, move, delete... said folder on the OS X.5 machine, but to no avail. If I mount it as "/NET" via Samba/NFS the OS is not recognizes 2 different folders... I.E. 1 in capitals and 1 in "non-capitals". This is outside of the Regular Unix/Linux behaviour and is IMO changing the OS base of MAC OS.

I think after re-reading it, I realized what I was saying was incorrect... :p

It recreates the folder and re-arranges the symbolic links... if memory serves... Right now, brain failure is at an all time high... *reaches for coffee*

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not worked with Samba/NFS, go I am at a loss now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.