Macbook pro running really HOT!

Reaction score
My Macbook Pro is running really hot.
I know this is quite common so normally I wouldn't be too worried but it made me do a bit of investigating. I've got iStatpro on my machine and its telling me that everything is Really hot. I ran the activity process app and found that there were 2 processes running called "scheduledScanne" which are each using up about 90% of the CPU (i'm not too sure if % is the right term but you get the drift!)

I can't tell what these activities are. I do have a norton Virus checker on my machine and it was set to scan drives when they were mounted but I've turned this feature off as I thought it might be the problem but they are still there.

Anyone got any ideas what they are and if its OK to try killing them to see if my machine returns to normal?

Thanks

Reaction score
Have you stopped the processes using Activity Monitor? If so, did they start right back up?

OP
W
Reaction score
I've just restarted and they've disappeared!
this is great but I's still like to know what they were and why they were using so much CPU!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would uninstall Norton. The software is poorly written, poorly supported, and typical Symantec crap. That goes for the Windows version as well as the OS X one. Just my negative opinion of course, but the massive use of CPU cycles to run automatic virus scans (that really aren't needed) is something that's not only annoying but totally unwarranted.

BTW, in case you haven't figured out yet what was churning away at your CPU driving up the temperature, it was the Norton scheduled auto scanner.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.