MS Office no longer works

Reaction score
Hi All;

For unrelated reasons I recently backed up my mac book Pro drive with super duper and then restored from the backup over-writing my main drive.

Everything worked perfectly - except for MS Office. After trying to un-install/re-install Office like 5 times I did a find on my drive for any instance of 'MICROSOFT' and removed them. I was amazed at how many MICROSOFT OFFICE directories this poorly designed software created.

After the hard drive search the POS finally worked. However, now 3-4 days later I'm getting the same issues again.

I start Entourage and get an error claiming that Entourage encountered a problem and must be closed. If I click on 'more information' I see this:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2008-09-23 10:11:12 -0600
Application Name: Microsoft Entourage
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Entourage
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Version: 12.1.2.080729
Crashed Module Name: unknown
Crashed Module Version: unknown
Crashed Module Offset: unknown
Blame Module Name: unknown
Blame Module Version: unknown
Blame Module Offset: unknown
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Thread 0 crashed:

Also if I choose to send the crash data to MS then I'm told there is more information about this problem on the MS website, If I choose to go there I see this:

At this time, we do not know the exact cause of this problem. To help us find a solution, please consider taking a short survey online at the following website:
Microsoft Corporation

Ha Ha, funny joke on me from MS...

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc ?

Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using Office 2008 or 2004? I've never used 2004 so can't be of much help there.... As far as Office 2008 is concerned, there have been several issues that have come up with the latest updates. If you're using 2008, have you installed the latest updates?

Removing Office: As you found out MS scatters folders and files around in several places. Without a good file manager program, it's difficult to track everything down for removal. The uninstaller supplied with Office 2008 does not do a complete job of removing everything.

If you're using 2008, the only suggestion I can give you is to try to completely remove the program, install it again and apply updates. You might also want to go to the MS Mactopia site and get help. The MVPs who hang out in the forums are top notch and DO NOT work for MS.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.mspx

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.