If you don't backup up your Mac, why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
because i don't have leopard and therefore don't have time machine. I have tiger…

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
why would that keep you from backing up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I want to, but just haven't done it yet. I keep my music on a 120gb external to save up some room on the 80gb internal. Once I upgraded to Leopard, I was anxiously awaiting to use Time Machine. But apparently for Time Machine's first use, the backup drive must be completely empty, nothing in it. So I have to move my music, plus other stuff... again... in order to make it happen. I've been thinking of purchasing another external (been watching prices on larger models) so I can start a new backup, and even backup my music onto this other hd.

So... just haven't done it yet. :\

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

I see several flippant posts with "because" or "I don't feel like it" as reasons for not backing up their Macs. I don't know if the posters are serious; I hope not.

But it's always amusing when I see someone post something in these forums with a heading like this:

:Oops: :Oops: "PULEEEEZE HELP!!!!!! I LOST ALL MY DATA!!!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!" :Oops: :Oops:

Reaction score
well got my imac this past jan 2008, hard drive died about 2 weeks ago and lost everything...now i back it up with time machine. simple as a bell!

Reaction score
Interesting thread.

I see several flippant posts with "because" or "I don't feel like it" as reasons for not backing up their Macs. I don't know if the posters are serious; I hope not.

But it's always amusing when I see someone post something in these forums with a heading like this:

:Oops: :Oops: "PULEEEEZE HELP!!!!!! I LOST ALL MY DATA!!!!! WHAT DO I DO NOW!!!!" :Oops: :Oops:

I can 100% assure you that I will not be making one of those posts, nor will I be backing up my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I did it for a while, then stopped. Anything of real importance is not kept on my boot drive but on one of my many (8) non-boot drives. A boot drive failure won't really cost me anything since I can get all of the apps back and any one of the non-boot drives failing won't be catastrophic since the data is spread out. Owning a good data recovery App, like Data Rescue II, is essential though.

Me and Baggs have the same exact life story in the back up department except I have some non-boot drives with a significant amount of important files on them, and those files are backed up.

I am thinking that I should back those up to drives and put them in a Safe Deposit box or keep them in a friends house.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.