If you don't backup up your Mac, why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
Just wondering... for those that still refuse to make backups...

if you are not doing it, how come?

I'd like to hear the reasons... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Cos Time Machine was such a pain in the bum the first time you back up, and then it all went wrong and I had to do it again... and after the third time I just started saving copies of all my pictures and things I actual value onto my iDisk.

I also currently have no optical drive - if something goes that badly wrong I've got no way to reinstall the OS anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I have back ups of my very important files but no system wide back ups until I can afford more hard drives, for now the reason I don't do system wide back ups is because hard drives that can fit the entire system are to expensive for me to afford at this time.

However, I do have back ups of current projects and things I don't already have on optical media, or is easily accessed from the same location I got it for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Cause I can't afford an external HDD lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
Why do I not back up my Mac?

Well, because I can't figure out how to put it in reverse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
everything that is 'important' is stored on a server, which is backed up to tape nightly, the contents of my hard drive that are not backed up elsewhere are expendable. A rebuild wouldn't hurt me.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why do I not back up my Mac?

Well, because I can't figure out how to put it in reverse.

lets hope you can remain funny when your hd crashes someday and your data is lost :)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04
lets hope you can remain funny when your hd crashes someday and your data is lost :)

In all seriousness, I do back up my MacBook -- and in fact I'm doing it right now as I type this...I bought a 500-gig external drive (for $75!!!) a couple of months ago for that purpose.

Reaction score
Let me just add in that I have nothing of value on here. Haha. I still wouldn't though, I'm far too lazy for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
I don't know. I feel like nothing wrong is going to happen with my HDD, so I just careless. If some day some how a virus or a spyware infects my OSX, I'll just backup and reformat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4GHz 320GB 4GB Ram ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory
I am in the middle of changing

My backup system to accomodate my Mac. I was using Mozy as well as Acronis and external hard drives with my PC but a beyond believable stupid operator error (um, that would be me) caused me to lose a half years' worth of digital art.

I vehemently dislike Mozy's Mac version and will not be renewing my subscription. Just last night I downloaded SuperDuper to give it a go and I liked it so I will buy it. Was able to reformat my external drive to Mac Journal (extended) with no headaches so I will be doing daily backup again soon.

I also run Time Machine manually on another external hard drive.

I am going to buy a third and take that one into the office, bring it home once a month. Not as good as daily off-site Mozy but I can live with it: between Time Machine, home ehd and work ehd I should end up with something no matter what.

When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose but if you lose something you had, it just hurts. $300 for hard drives is far far far less than I would pay to get my artwork back.

Reaction score
everything that is 'important' is stored on a server, which is backed up to tape nightly, the contents of my hard drive that are not backed up elsewhere are expendable. A rebuild wouldn't hurt me.

+1 Why backup individually when you can backup all data on multiple machines at once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 200GB Hard Drive, Leopard
uhh because i dont know how and im afraid i wont know how to put it back in if it crashes >.<

jah

Reaction score
i would like the idea of a bare metal backup, something i dont have on my MacBookPro.

i have a file server at home and one at work, it would be nice if TimeMachine would be able to access these server(s) seamless

seems when TimeMachine is working it backups every hour, its files get very large over time, way too much junk. most of my data is on one of those two servers not on the macbookpro without the ability to rebuild a complete macbook pro timemachine is lo value.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive

Second that. Although I don't do a tape backup nightly. I have all my important stuff on my personal server on my network. I don't keep anything data on my macbook besides some music that I can listen to when I'm not at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I did it for a while, then stopped. Anything of real importance is not kept on my boot drive but on one of my many (8) non-boot drives. A boot drive failure won't really cost me anything since I can get all of the apps back and any one of the non-boot drives failing won't be catastrophic since the data is spread out. Owning a good data recovery App, like Data Rescue II, is essential though.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm considering switching to wax cylinder - you know, to avoid EM pulse weapons.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i dont back up because i do not have any important files. we havent taken any worthwhile pictures in a year or so. and everything we have can be replaced. basically our macs are for internet access and email.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.