Problem with back-up using Super drive

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a Mac PowerBook G4 (867 MHz Power PC with 1 MB L3 Cache and with Mac OS X) that was giving the spinning hard drive noise couple of months ago when I used it, and now whenever it goes to screensaver mode, it wouldn't wake up. No matter how much time or how many times I press the enter key. I have to basically reboot the computer. Today, when I turned on the computer after couple of months, it worked fine, but then I went out and when came back, I had to restart due to screen saver issue. This time, however, it is not even booting up and in the middle of the screen, small folder type icons are coming that keep on changing and one of them has question mark sign on it. After trying to reboot a couple of times, finally, it went to the apple screen that comes up when the system is starting, but after 20 minutes or so, it finally came up and now seems to be working fine and I dont even hear the hard drive. I have 768 MB SDRam installed on it and hard drive is 40 GB. This system came with Mac 9.2.2 as pre-installed which I upgraded to Mac OSX. I have the install CDs for Mac OSX and system restore or something for 9.2.2

Based on the feedback here on my previous thread, I ordered a new 120 GB HD from Newegg, which should be here today. Last night, I used Super drive to backup my hard drive on external HD (WD, portable 120 GB, using USB). It took a while to back up. When I tried to reboot using the external HD (hodling the option key), I did not see my external HD, only internal one with Mac OSX option. It booted fine using the internal one. Then I went to System Preferences, Boot up hard drive and there I see the external HD as one of the options to boot from but with only 9.2.2 software, not the OSX. I checked the backup files on external HD, they are the exact same as internal HD, so I dont know why it is not showing OSX on the external one. But, even when I select the external HD with 9.2.2 as the startup option in System Pref, it still does not boot up from the external one, I just hear a sound and thats it, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong or what should I do to make it work?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
PowerPC's cannot boot from USB - must be firewire alas. Take it you mean you used SuperDuper for the backup?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.