Mac Mail option cannot send mail

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2.4GhZ 4 GB RAM
Hello,

I am so frustrated with the Mac mail option. I can't send any mail with it because it says there is no available server.
What does that mean?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It means you haven't properly setup Mac Mail to send mail from your ISP's server. Have you gone into "accounts" in Mac Mail and filled in all the information that's needed? ie: Incoming Mail Server, User Name, Password, Outgoing Mail Server?

Accounts in Mac Mail can be accessed by opening Mail preferences.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
outgoing mail server

sorry im a dunce
but whats an outgoing mail server???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
It's the server your mail goes through on the way out - you have one for the way in as well. What the address of your sever is depends on who provides your email.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

i don't understand at all, but thanks anyway

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sometimes i feel like you have to be a computer whiz to do the most simple things on a mac or maybe i'm just dumber than i thought!

Well what's after the @ in your email address?

Reaction score

You would have to do the same thing if you were setting up your email on a PC using Outlook...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
gmail for example

and i know i hated outlook im not too fond of "mail" either

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a look here.

You do need to set up your mail for it to work properly... if you really hate it then use webmail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
what e-mail service are you using?

Reaction score
One thing I have noticed is that even though Mail is set up to send email from my mobile me email address it sometimes is unable to do so. In those instances it helps to have another email address with a server that you can use instead to send the mail. If Mail can't use your default server it gives you an opportunity to choose another. It can't do that if you don't have more than one email address configured though. So it would be worth it to have other accounts set up. I have Verizon and GMail so I can always send mail even if the mobile me server is flaking out.

Terri

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you kidding?

In recent version of Leopard Mail there's an option for certain email providers to "automatically set up account". This also works for Gmail.

If you leave that checked all you need is your email address and password, click continue and you're done!

Couldn't be any simpler IMO. If you're having issue, try deleting the account and add it again:
Mail > Preferences > Accounts: Select your Gmail account from the list and click the "-" icon at the bottom.

Then press "+" and enter your name, email and password. Make sure the "auto setup" option is checked and Bob's your uncle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.