Burning CD's HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4ghz 4gb ram
So, i lost my 'Mac virginity' the other day, and overall i'm chuffed with it....although.... i am having some trouble, and i may just be being a bit dim, but how do you create a normal cd to play on a house stereo or a car stereo? All i seem to be able to do is burn it in mpeg4 (m4a) format. This is obviously no use! After various searches on google, i found Roxio to be quite popular, but it doesn't say anywhere about making 'normal' cds or even just doing straight copies! I'm ready to beat iTunes with a big stick! Could some bright spark save me from going mad???! Ta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
You need to burn it audio format or .wav file format.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4ghz 4gb ram
Do you think you could explain it a bit more for me? I'm really in over my head with the OSX system. Is it a case of dragging and dropping the files, or is there more too it than that?

Regards, Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
how do you create a normal cd to play on a house stereo or a car stereo? ... i found Roxio to be quite popular

In Roxio Toast you're given 4 options - Data, Audio, Video, Copy. When you choose Audio to burn, Toast automatically converts files to .aiff, which will play on a car or house stereo system.

There's also Quickburn which is a simplified version similar to Toast.
http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Automator-Actions---Workflows/Quick-Burn.shtml

in iTunes, choose Preferences > Advanced > Burning > Audio CD. General rule for audio burning is 4x (ie. slower is better). iTunes will convert .mp3 etc to standard audio format.

You can burn CDs in Finder too. It's best if you go to Help in Finder (top menu bar) and type Burn in the search field.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.