Drive no longer reads CDs?

M

MyrnaMinkoff

Hi, this is my first time at this site. A friend recommended I check a Mac-only forum to get some help.

My Powerbook's drive no longer reads CDs of any kind. It will still burn CDs and read DVDs, but any time I insert a CD I get the error message "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that Mac OS X can read. To continue with the disk inserted, click Ignore."

Has anyone had this problem? Should I just take it in to be repaired?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
we need more detail.. what kind of cd's are you putting in? how long have you had your computer... has this been happening before? etc.. any other pertinent information you might want to add..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
oh.. and welcome to the boards.. :)

EY :eek:

OP
M

MyrnaMinkoff

we need more detail.. what kind of cd's are you putting in? how long have you had your computer... has this been happening before? etc.. any other pertinent information you might want to add..

I purchased my computer in July of 2002. (Has it been that long? Eeesh.) I've tried both burned CDs and regular music CDs. It's never happened before, but it started about a week ago.

Um...I can't think of any other pertninent information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you tried cleaning the lens with a laser lens cleaning disc? or have you tried repairing permissions? or resetting the pram?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.