a little warning - using hard drives with both win/mac

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
stumbled accross this today.

here's the situation:
i have a hard drive to keep most all of my mp3s on that i use between my macbook at home and an HP laptop at work. on the HP laptop, i've got all the stuff that would normally be turned on to hide "dangerous" OS files from me turned off; so by default, i can see extentions, hidden files, etc.

some of my mp3s are by a band called ...and you will know us by the trail of dead. yep, there is an elipsis at the beginning of the name. of course, OSX wants to treat these as hidden system files due to the leading dot. So, it markes them as hidden. On my HP, they showed up as greyed out next to the .DS_Store file and the occasional system file OSX created for any other mp3 when itunes played them. of course, i deleted most of these, not realizing they were actual files, not these "throw away" system files.
once i realized this, i was easily able to save the rest of them - i just unhid them and removed the leading "..."

i'm not concerned about the loss of files, i still have the CDs, but it could have been something more important, or something i'd purchased as an mp3.

so, just a warning, if you have any actual files that may have a leading dot character, you may want to remove them before going back and forth between the two OSs.

the funny thing is that i ripped these CDs with the max app on OSX, played them on itunes, and OSX knew enough to display the files at that time even with the leading "...", it was really only windows that had the issue once OSX had labeled them as hidden.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
A rule of thumb that I have always lived by is never use spaces, or symbols besides the underscore mark in a file name. There are even people that I know that don't even use the underscore because they are that paranoid. >_>"

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
oh, i use underscore all the time, that's old-school ;)

i normally try to avoid periods, but whoever named the group in whatever database max used, used the leading periods on the group name. i just didn't even think about it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.