Gray Screen/Restart Button Error

Reaction score
OK, I know this sounds funny, but I didn't know what else to call it. Whatever application I'm running, doesn't matter what it is.....

It looks like a tinted window shade comes down from the top of the screen turning it about 50% gray, with a Large "power button" symbol and it tells you that you need to restart your computer either using the forced restart button or holding down the power button on your desktop.

Does anyone know what kind of error this is? Why does it happen? And how do I fix it?

I have run such programs as: Main Menu and ClamXav which was reccomended by members of this forum.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Sounds like the kernel panic screen to me, but I dunno what you would do about that... so I'm basically useless, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I would try reinstalling the latest OS X update again, but using the standalone installer. If that doesn't work and this continues to happen it sounds like you might have some bad RAM, or a program that is seriously screwing things up.

Reaction score
grey screen restart

im getting this exact same problem and have another friend with the same thing aswell..
i tried reinstalling twice and still its doing it.
any other ideas to what this could be??
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Did you install ram at any point? or have a way of testing whether the ram is ok or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.