Broken Headphone Plug Stuck in Jack

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have a fix for removing the stuck plug other than those already mentioned in the thread. I thought of something that might allow you to get sound back until the plug can be removed. Have you tried a headset that plugs into the USB port. There are several models available in a wide price range.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any other ideas?

Yes. Try the broken headphone jack removal tool called "Gripstick". You can buy it from here.

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad I read to the end of this thread. I just tried this method and this worked. I didn't want to use glue (seemed scary). Didn't end up needing to.

The very tip of the headphone adapter (a headphone to RCA adapter in my case) was stuck in the jack of my girlfriend's computer. The tip has a small point sticking out that goes into the hollow space on the second section of the adapter.

I put the broken adapter (which still had the first two sections intact) gently into the jack, so that the part which broke off inside was now inside the hollow section of the adapter. When I had tried just pulling it out after doing this, it didn't work -- there was nothing to stick the two parts of the adapter together. But after reading this post, I tried twisting the adapter after inserting it into the jack. I think I twisted it clockwise. I then pulled, and the whole thing came out! Thanks!

It looks like there's some threading on the tip of the adapter, which I guess interfaced with some threading inside the second section, causing them to stick together enough so that when I pulled, they came out together.

If more than one section of the adapter is broken inside the jack, this method likely won't work for you -- but if it's just the tip that's in there, definitely give this a try. Much safer than superglue. I don't think there's really any way this could damage your computer, unless you push on it way too hard or something.

Thank you so much, i tried everything and this seemed way to simple to work but it did. Defiantly try this if it's only the very tip that's stuck in there because it will attach back onto the jack when you insert it in and twist.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.