Hard drive died + Apple store repair question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
My hard drive died in my Macbook yesterday sucks majorly. Came up with the flashing folder icon with the question mark in it, inserted the Leopard disc and it showed that verifying disc permissions failed. Guess I'm off to the Apple Store sometime this week.

Does anyone know how long it takes for them to fix it? I'm away at college so I can't wait a week for them to fix it and drive the 3 hours back to the Apple Store to pick it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
tmorgan1689,

When you get there, explain to them your time and driving constraints and perhaps they'll fix it while you wait or at least in shorter than normal order. It shouldn't take them more than 15-20 minutes to change a hard drive, but if it's something else at fault, could take longer, so you may need to take in a flick while they fix...

Noel

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
You could fork out for a new hard drive and install it yourself.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Reaction score
wow this just happened to me last week as well. blinking folder n everything. turns out my HD failed from heat. the place i took it to which was not an apple store but a store that had applecare ran tests on it to see what was wrong. sometimes the blinking folder isn't always due to hd failure. I got mine back in 3 days after they ran tests and replaced the hd.

OP
tmorgan1689
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Aye that would probably the better thing to do.

How would paying 100 dollars for something I can go to the store and have fixed for free be the better thing? That doesn't make sense at all

Got it fixed today, the entire orderly only took 15 min. Super nice and helpful, makes me glad I got a Apple!

OP
tmorgan1689
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
wow this just happened to me last week as well. blinking folder n everything. turns out my HD failed from heat. the place i took it to which was not an apple store but a store that had applecare ran tests on it to see what was wrong. sometimes the blinking folder isn't always due to hd failure. I got mine back in 3 days after they ran tests and replaced the hd.

They didn't even run tests on mine, he just saw the folder and swapped the hard drive out.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
How would paying 100 dollars for something I can go to the store and have fixed for free be the better thing?

You said yourself in the OP: "I'm away at college so I can't wait a week for them to fix it and drive the 3 hours back to the Apple Store to pick it up."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.