Loss of bookmarks during update

Reaction score
Just stumbled across this forum in a google search.

My firefox just automatically updated to what I assume must be the 3rd version. I only know it updated because when I opened it yesterday it informed me and provided me with a list of all the incompatible add-ons... Yay.

Then I opened my bookmarks and was immediately irate. All the bookmarks I've made for probably the past 3 months are GONE. There were a LOT. I still have most of them but it's like I went back in time instead of gaining an improved browser.

I'm very upset with this and either want to revert back to the old version and get all my bookmarks back OR find my old bookmarks and re-bookmark them.

I went into my username/library/firefox/profiles/ where I found a folder called 'bookmarkbackups'. Only one file in there is .html, and it is NOT my old bookmarks but all the ones I'm currently left with. The other 4 files in there are .json and I have no idea how to open those. But they are also from the same day as the .html file so I assume they would read the same.

Help please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
bummer. this is why backups are important... unfortunately computers and software are not perfect. sometimes bad things happen. :(

hopefully you will learn from this... start backing files up before you lose data more important than bookmarks (they are relatively easy to replace).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sounds like it's a bug, I doubt just you are experiencing it. Firefox will probably have a patch shortly fixing this problem. Try to do some more research see if anyone else is having the same problem.

OP
I
Reaction score
No idea how to back up files. I have something called time machine on my computer but it doesn't' work or maybe it's me that can't figure it out, lol.

I sure hope it's a bug. I googled the problem and it seemed like others were having it too. I did what the other people suggested elsewhere and it didn't work for me - they possibly could have been on windows, though... not sure.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No idea how to back up files. I have something called time machine on my computer but it doesn't' work or maybe it's me that can't figure it out, lol.

I sure hope it's a bug. I googled the problem and it seemed like others were having it too. I did what the other people suggested elsewhere and it didn't work for me - they possibly could have been on windows, though... not sure.

It's pretty easy to make backups of your bookmarks. You just go under bookmarks and export them. Then you have a backup of all your bookmarks. I do this every once in awhile because on my PC my bookmarks disappear every so often for no reason, in the older version of Firefox.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.