Cable connection

O

officehelper

ok. I'm just filled with problems today.

Took the iMac home got it hooked up to the cable modem, lights are one everything looks fine, till i try to get online. it says i'm missing a usb software device. So I call comcast and no one can help me (they don't help people with os systems less than the newest version of 9)

anyway, here I am trying to get on with my new computer and I'm stuck using this stupid PC

anyone have any idea how to help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Newest version of 9 for what? Doesn't your iMac use OS X? A USB software device? man this one is beyond me, I've never heard of anything like that before.. if you could give us more info that would be great.. like your system specs, if your hooked up directly to the modem or if there is a router between you and the modem.. stuff like that.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like Murlyn, suggested. What kind of Apple product are you using? If you are using Comcast like I am, I assume that you have an ethernet cable modem (rj45 jack).

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Did you try going to the manufacturer of the cable modem, maybe you could go to their support section, and see if they have something that might help you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook
Comcast in my area used to try to give USB cable modems out when they could get away with it, not sure if they still do this. If they did stick the OP with a USB modem then you just need to call them up and tell them you want to switch it for an ethernet modem. Or, if you want to buy your own then I would suggest getting the Motorola SB5100 ($65 USD) and save the $5/mo rental fee they charge.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
rberry88's suggestion sounds the best, just switch modems, if possible.

OP
O

officehelper

got it. first i remembered that when comcast came out they put an adapter on the ethernet plug cuz my PC didn't have an ethernet plug, so I took the USB adapter off and plugged it in to the mac. however it still didn't work. Finally comcast (got a nice lady for once) told me to switch the ethernet ends, and recycle power. it worked.

and I'm using iMac with os9.1. don't have memory to upgrade to osx yet

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.