macbook randomly drops internet connection, refuses to reconnect, Apple no help

Reaction score
I'm at the last straw with my macbook. I've had it for 2 years and have always had the same problem. My macbook struggles to keep an internet connection and likes to randomly drop it for no reason. It has trouble re-finding the network and often won't re-connect. keeps saying the connection is timed out after 2 seconds of trying. When I do connect the internet is so painfully slow (up to 5 mins to load a page) I just give up and close the lid. I have no problems with any other function of the computer, and it works fine when I directly plug the internet cable into it.

I use an airport for my wireless connection. other people can come over and use my wireless no problem, both on a PC and an identical macbook to mine.
The problem is most obvious when I use itunes. When I play itunes on the stereo through the airport it will play about 4 seconds of song, then pause for 30 seconds, then play another 5 seconds then pause for another minute. It's really putting a kink in my ability to rock out.

I've narrowed it down to a problem with my macbook. Other people can use my airport just fine, and I have the same problem when I take my macbook else where.

I've tried everything from re-installing the OS, to resetting the IP to taking my macbook in to get a new airport card. Nothing remedies this problem

does anyone have any suggestions?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you tried setting the channel in the router to other channels? could just be simple interference...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you taken it into Apple? What did they say? Since other Macbooks are not affected, something is wrong somewhere with yours. Did Apple check to be sure the antenna is plugged into the Airport card? Try what Eric suggested also.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've tried other channels. I have the same problem when I connect to other wireless networks in my area.

I've already talked to apple and have had the air port card replaced, the problem persists. I talked to apple again and they told me to take it back to the apple repair place. And the repair place told me they've done all they can think of.

I never had this problem with my ibook, just my macbook :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Perhaps the actual technology to detect the AirPort is damaged in your MacBook. A defective piece of hardware. I'm as stumped as you are, have you tried changing the location?

OP
S
Reaction score
Part of the problem is that it's intermittent. It's hard to tell when something I've done has fixed the problem.. I've tried changing the router channel again, and it's been working fine for a couple of hours now... but it may not work in the next hour.

I'm taking it in tomorrow to get the cracked case replaced so I'm going to take in the whole she-bang, airport and all, and have these apple 'geniuses' take a look at everything

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you tried bringing your macbook to another location to test the signal on another wifi router? if it still has issues, then you can be sure it's the macbook.

OP
S
Reaction score
well my problem has been half solved. I now have no problems staying connected with the internet. Now the problem is isolated to the playing of music through the airport. The connection is dropped less frequently but it still gets dropped. Once I had a error message staying I was booted off the connection due to someone else using the Airport. And I know that's BS as my WiFi is hidden, encrypted and password protected.

Anyone have ideas on why this is happening?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.