• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The purpose of Marketing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
the sole purpose of marketing is to make you (and me) dissatisfied with what we have now, and to make us spend money. Go out and buy "the latest and greatest"... gotta have the new one. After all the one you bought 4 months ago is no good, it's old, outdated...

We are bombarded with ads and marketing 24/7.... I think the average american sees over 1000 ads per day (forget the exact number but it's high). The number was much lower say in the 50s and 60s.

It's all about :$ - If a company does not convince people to part with their money and give it to them, the company eventually goes bye-bye.

Our goal? Keep as much of our income as we can, and spend as little as we can. (That's my new goal anyway).

The alternative? Overspend beyond your budget/means and be in debt and broke all the time.

-steps off my anti debt soap box now. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
marketing keeps me having a paycheck (oh and probably you as well ;) ). God bless marketing.. even if they do drive me nuts.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's human nature.

focus an idea at the masses. make it appealing, and the opposite much less appealing, and you can sell just about anything from toilet paper to war to religion.

as with anything, moderation is key.
i'm not broke. i carry the majority of the debt on my house at this time, but my 10 year old car that i bought used is paid off. if i feel it becomes unsafe for my family, i will buy another solid used car, most likely with a small loan.
i do have a nice tv, bicycle, a ps3 and a few other toys to spend a good majority of my time with - i can afford them and none of the toy/entertainment items i've purchased recently have been on credit.
sometimes though, credit is necessary, it is good to have it available. it's just a shame that many people can't contain themselves and blow it for the rest of us.

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like many americans, no one ever taught me how to handle money and avoid debt, and to save. I did it my way, and had to learn the hard way. But I am learning... better late than never ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
marketing helps to keep the cost of media down ;)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm, here's a thought.. .

if apple had marketed the mac differently/better? years ago, and not been so proprietary at that time, macs may be the standard today and not windows?

Hey a guy can dream right? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Marketing drives everyone nuts but it keeps the world spinning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I thought the purpose of marketing was to hand out free mugs and keychains

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
marketing keeps me having a paycheck (oh and probably you as well ;) ). God bless marketing.. even if they do drive me nuts.

Yes, and you can now get a free $50 gift card with the purchase of two lollipops! Limited offer!

:Evil:

Seriously, I am too young to get a paycheck (I'm 12). Only 2 more years! :D

I also am drove crazy by marketing, and their silly woeful ways of getting us to spend money. Sadly, many ad's are aimed at people around my age group (early teens to teens) with annoying ad's about being the "Cool Beans With Back To School Fashion". UGH! Marketing just makes us more vulnerable to spending money for no reason, or at least an evident reason. C'mon, admit everyone, you have to have seen at least one TV commercial or ad Somewhere!. I even have, and I am VERY aware of marketing techniques- hence the reason people think of me as 'cheap' and 'frugal' instead of wanting to have 'fun' by watching and viewing ads! So, yes, marketing is a great thing for them [the companies] and a variable for us [us].

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12 is old enough to work around your community and make money. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
Yes, and you can now get a free $50 gift card with the purchase of two lollipops! Limited offer!

:Evil:

Seriously, I am too young to get a paycheck (I'm 12). Only 2 more years! :D

I also am drove crazy by marketing, and their silly woeful ways of getting us to spend money. Sadly, many ad's are aimed at people around my age group (early teens to teens) with annoying ad's about being the "Cool Beans With Back To School Fashion". UGH! Marketing just makes us more vulnerable to spending money for no reason, or at least an evident reason. C'mon, admit everyone, you have to have seen at least one TV commercial or ad Somewhere!. I even have, and I am VERY aware of marketing techniques- hence the reason people think of me as 'cheap' and 'frugal' instead of wanting to have 'fun' by watching and viewing ads! So, yes, marketing is a great thing for them [the companies] and a variable for us [us].

Good lord, are you sure your 12 lol...You have better grammar and sentence structure then most people I know. Congrats, and stay in school!!

I'm not sure what to say about the whole marketing schemes they have. I mean I can say marketing is a HUGE part in my life, I mean if you look at it George W. Bush has been playing the whole marketing game with the entire United States for the past what, 6 or 7 years. Yes, I work for the government, (Department of Defense) so Bush's marketing schemes pay my rediculous government paycheck. Anyway, I make 3 month tours to Iraq every other 3 months, and In order for me to keep my Job, marketing is extremely important. Bush has to Market this war over here, and market his idea why he thinks it's necessary we stay over here.

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that marketing is everywhere, even in our own government.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Good lord, are you sure your 12 lol...You have better grammar and sentence structure then most people I know. Congrats, and stay in school!!

Thanks. :)

I'm not sure what to say about the whole marketing schemes they have. I mean I can say marketing is a HUGE part in my life, I mean if you look at it George W. Bush has been playing the whole marketing game with the entire United States for the past what, 6 or 7 years. Yes, I work for the government, (Department of Defense) so Bush's marketing schemes pay my rediculous government paycheck. Anyway, I make 3 month tours to Iraq every other 3 months, and In order for me to keep my Job, marketing is extremely important. Bush has to Market this war over here, and market his idea why he thinks it's necessary we stay over here.

But yeah, I just wanted to point out that marketing is everywhere, even in our own government.

Marketing the war seems incomprehensible to the average person who thinks of marketing as a grandeur of ad's and commercial's telling them about what they are missing out on in life. I think a better word for situations like these ('marketing' the war) might be 'campaign', since 'marketing' reasons for war doesn't really sound right. Since they aren't trying to sell anything to us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
They aren't?

If a politician isn't trying to sell you something, he's dead ;)

OP
macgig
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the same thing. Better grammar than most, including me. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Marketing is insanely complicated these days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.5GHz C2D, 6 Gigs Ram (Yes) 320 7200 RPM..and much more!
I was thinking the same thing. Better grammar than most, including me. lol

This 12 year old must be a genious lol. I mean just read what he says, he has had more valid points than anyone else!!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
BlueMac - i know you're twelve, and you seem like you can take criticism if it means learning something new. you have to stop using the possessive when you mean to use plural. example: writing "ad's" is the possessive; you want the plural in this case which would simply be ads, same with "commercial's".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook intel
BlueMac - i know you're twelve, and you seem like you can take criticism if it means learning something new. you have to stop using the possessive when you mean to use plural. example: writing "ad's" is the possessive; you want the plural in this case which would simply be ads, same with "commercial's".

True in some cases, but can't you technically add an apostrophe if you're pluralizing an abbreviation or symbol?

Actually I'm wrong. It's only if the abbreviation has internal punctuation (or is a single letter/number)

Interesting stuff: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=499296

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black 2.2 GHz C2D, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD, Super Drive
I think marketing is a double-edged sword. On what hand, companies need marketing to survive and sell their product/service. On the other hand, I hate it. Basically, it has boiled down to appealing to guys by using scantily clad women and making girls feel ugly/unappreciated by showing them images of all these "perfect" girls with perfect bodies. Ultimately, advertising makes you feel like you are inadequate without that product.

Buy this product, It'll make you cool! Buy this product, It'll make you pretty! Course, I fall victim to it every now and then, we all do. Like someone said, it is human nature.

Course, I'd much rather record something and watch it later so I can fast forward through ads then watch something when it premieres.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The purpose of marketing is to make you feel inadequate or discontented, with the promise that whatever product they are pushing will fill a need and help you complete your life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.