Netgear Router To Log History? Can This Ben Done?

Reaction score
Hi

My kids are getting up to no good on the mac I think. I have a wireless router Netgear DG834PN, with my iMac. Anyway they are using the Private tab under Safari, and I am concerned at what they are up to. I think I read that the Router that I have may be able to list history of sites visited, is this right? If so can this be set up?

Any help with this would be great.

Pete

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think it lists a history of sites. According to the literature, it does log attempts at getting thru the double firewall. Read it for yourself here and decide:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/WiredRouters/DG834.aspx

If you're worried about the kids visiting certain sites, restrict their use of the machine or invest in "nanny" software.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
To truly log where your kids are going is take away Safari and use a kid browser, or a nanny type software but make the kids account "Limited" in System Preferences, and yours the only administrator and use a strong password.

Or don't spend the money to prove your suspicions. If they're enabling the privacy tab, there's something they don't want you to know about. Even though it could be something we as parents could really care less about (Jenny likes Joey, blah blah blah)

In various cases of some of my clients with kids and internet usage is a potential problem, the easiest thing to do is take the computer away. Tough nougies. Kids have to do homework essays? Do what I had to do as a kid. Paper and pencil, and I'm only 29.

And when I say take it away, I don't mean confiscate the power cord. They are so common, kids can get one from Radio Shack or a friend and stash it in their room. I recommend you take the whole CPU away. If it's your computer and not a "kids" computer, password the kids account (if they have one) or change the password of your account with a strong password. Don't write it down, don't use something simple for a password. Kids are smart, they'll get in if you leave an avenue unguarded.

If space permits, keep the computer in a public place in the house, living room or somewhere an adult is always going to be or be near.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.