Questions About Mac's Product Life Cycle

Reaction score
I', absolutely considering the Mac Pro desktop, but I'm concerned about shelling out up to $3000.00 for a machine that was announced back in August of 2006. Something tells me that I should wait until Apple produces the latest and greatest considering the price points would be the same. I'm making the assumption that the cost would float around the same figure based on their pricing structure from one form factor to another (ie. Older Nano was the same price as the newest Nano the day before it came out, then overnight older Nano is cheaper).

Any idea on Apples life cycle for their desktops? Any help would be appreciated and and flames would be ignored!

:Smirk:

- Face

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Apple desktops last around 5-6 years. Most Apple's do. Just because of the way they they're built, instead of buying a new computer every couple of years, all you have to do is buy the new software. It's much easier that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5 Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 MHz DDR2, 17" Hi-Res Display ; iPhone 3G 2.1
check out this link before purchasing any new apple products: http//:buyersguide.macrumors.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The other site to check release histories, and specs, is lowendmac.com. Here is the profiles link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 Retina 4K iMac. Monterey. 8GB RAM. Crucial 500GB external SSD
I'm sure I said this before somewhere on this site, but...

My former G4 sawtooth (desktop tower) I sold last year to a friend, still running today at 8 yrs old... like a champ.

I did many upgrades on that mac myself, including major surgery (processor upgrade)... not a single problem with that mac today.

8 yrs old and counting, never needing a repair. that's pretty amazing I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.