upgrade from my 12" ibook to a powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
I just recently bought me a 12" ibook and i got 768MB of ram in it and when i play games sometimes it seems to go kinda slow. and was wondering what your openinon's where on weather it would be worth me upgrading to the powerbook or not? what is the major advantage over the powerbook versus the ibook??

thanks
matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen
well.. it looks cooler...

its faster... you can get a better graphics card... more ram... etc

Reaction score
Don't get Mac based laptop to play games. But if you must have a Mac and want to play games on itm a Powerbook will offer better performance but personally I don't think it's worth jumping from iBook to Powerbook just for that purpose.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Well i plan on when i switch to jump to a 15" screen

C

Cloudane

If you do upgrade, get one with a bigger screen, as they have better graphics cards. I have a Powerbook 12" and it's still dog slow in some games, but the 12" model comes with some slow 64MB NVidia card... the bigger ones IIRC have 128MB ATI cards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook
Cloudane said:
If you do upgrade, get one with a bigger screen, as they have better graphics cards. I have a Powerbook 12" and it's still dog slow in some games, but the 12" model comes with some slow 64MB NVidia card... the bigger ones IIRC have 128MB ATI cards.

the bigger ones dont come standard with the 128MB card's from what i c at my apple stoer and online you have to pay for the upgrade.
the main reason i need a laptop is i'll be using it for college also wanna get away from my PC's all together however the 12" screen doesnt make it that good to take notes with and so forth so i figured when i upgraded to the 15" i would just sell my pc laptop also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
If you want to play games, get the 15" with the 128 MB RAM 9700 video card upgrade. But I do have to say I disagree with who it was that said Powerbooks look better. Silver gets boring. All the PC users have black or silver laptops. :p

C

Cloudane

I must admit, I probably prefer the white look. Although the metal of the Powerbook feels more "solid" - mainly a psychological thing.

M

McGuillicuddy

Well here's my take. The 64 MB 5200 Go in the Powerbooks is only marginally better than the 32 MB Radeon 9200 in the iBooks. The extra VRAM is nice, but I don't think the Geforce is inherently as powerful as the ATi 9200. Consequently, going from a 12" iBook to a 12" PB is probably not worth the money.

On the other hand, the Radeon 9700 (esp. the 128 MB) is a vast improvement in GPU power. Unfortunately, the PBs with the 128 MB Radeon 9700 are vastly overpriced and if you want that kind of gaming power you're best to go for a Centrino/Radeon 9700 machine.

P

PrimeRib

McGuillicuddy said:
Well here's my take. The 64 MB 5200 Go in the Powerbooks is only marginally better than the 32 MB Radeon 9200 in the iBooks. The extra VRAM is nice, but I don't think the Geforce is inherently as powerful as the ATi 9200. Consequently, going from a 12" iBook to a 12" PB is probably not worth the money.

On the other hand, the Radeon 9700 (esp. the 128 MB) is a vast improvement in GPU power. Unfortunately, the PBs with the 128 MB Radeon 9700 are vastly overpriced and if you want that kind of gaming power you're best to go for a Centrino/Radeon 9700 machine.

Agreed. If you're going to plop down that kind of cash, and if you're even remotely thinking about playing games on your laptop, consider the PC laptops from various manufacturers like Sager, Alienware and Voodoo. There are also some lower-cost alternatives out there, some with better design options (heating dispersement, video card, features, etc).

Keep in mind one solid fact: the laptops are obselete the moment you plop down the cash for them - it's the nature of the tech curve.
Gaming laptops, even worse as the components are still behind that of desktop and for portability, you're going to pay more for less.

I've got the 12' iBook and I love it - I'm a gaming freak and picked one up solely for writing, web surfing, email and DVD watching while on the road/abroad and so far, I am very pleased. I still have my 12 lb Alienware monstrosity that I can lug around, if I absolutely have to get my game in someplace else, but for everything in between, I have my little Apple, and it suits me just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I would get a 14" iBook for uni (since you say you need the bigger screen) and then get a console or portable game device.

The psp looks sweet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.