New MacBook and grinding noise from CD/DVD Drive

Reaction score
hi everyone... recently bought a new MacBook.. everytime I insert a CD/DVD into the drive, it makes this odd grinding/knocking sound for a brief moment before it settles down and starts playing the disk..

I can play disks and burn them.. but I was wondering if the sound is normal..

It's pretty disconcerting and unlike anything I've ever heard before..

Anyone have similar experience?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
The MBP superdrive is pretty noisy when inserting the disc, I originally though I had a bad superdrive but from what I can ascertain they all do this.

If it works don't worry, and if you have to put a disc in on the train just cough really loudly so nobody can hear the asthmatic churning of your superdrive ;)

OP
S
Reaction score
wow.. that's reassuring.. the noise is awful but if it's common, then I won't be bothering about it...

however, I suspect that the drive on my MB is also scratching disks and I need to get a fix on that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
They are RIDICULOUSLY loud. I love my MBP, and the slot-loading concept is very cool, but they need to do something about the noise. Heaven forbid I need to insert a disc during class. Everyone turns to find out what the noise is!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I think you guys are kind of exaggerating a little bit. Yes it's loud but it's not like dropping a really heavy book from 5 feet off the ground or anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No...I really have had everyone in a class turn to look at me when I inserted a disk. It happened last week in my Corporate Finance class. LOL

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No...I really have had everyone in a class turn to look at me when I inserted a disk. It happened last week in my Corporate Finance class. LOL

At least you stand out in class, I would imagine. ^-^"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose I should thank Steve Jobs for that? haha

All I'm saying is that when I put a CD into my car stereo, it doesn't make noises like that. Maybe at some point they'll fix that. Whatever...it doesn't really bother me. Certainly looks cool :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
this is something i was wondering about myself for months but never bothered to post about. when you insert the disk in the mac its most definatly not like inserting a disk in a car cd rom. when i inserted the disk for the first time i was like whoa um that didnt sound so good. crunch crunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hmm, I own a MBP and that never happens to me. Except if I insert a heavily scratched CD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.