Two Routers, an Xbox, and My Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB @5200 rpm Hard Drive, OS X 10.5
Ok, so I'm about to run out of storage space on my MBP. I'm a photographer, and most of my 250 GB drive is consumed by pictures and music. But there is a looming 100 GB of movies that I have on here as well. The reason I have them on here is so that I can use Connect360 to stream them to the xbox and watch them on my tv.

Long story short, I want to add a big HD to my network that my 360 can access as well as other computers on my network. The only problem is that the room that the cable modem is pretty far away from the xbox. My best possible solution (that i could think of) was to have 2 routers; one to distribute internet access, and the other to place close to my 360 that will have the NAS on it. I think i would need a NAS with an ethernet port to go into the router and from the router to the xbox (so that the 360 could see the NAS) and that router could connect to the other router so that the 360 could still use the internet connection.

Is this the right idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Doesn't seem like it would work. Usually, just one router connects to the modem, and everything connects to the router. If more routers are involved channels clash and things of that sort.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I wasn't aware that the Xbox would connect to a NAS at all. Does it? I have my movies on my Time Capsule, which I still have to stream via my MacBook, it can't connect directly.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Eric, for your link. that was pretty helpful. I figured that I could buy a big external drive that has a usb and ethernet port (like one of the WD myBook editions). That way, I could plug the usb in the xbox, and hook the ethernet into the router so that I can put the files on there from my mac. if I set up the router near the xbox as the repeater, would I be able to see that HD from my mac as a NAS?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that i'm not sure of, i was pretty sure about the repeater thing, i just needed to find a good source. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't aware that the Xbox would connect to a NAS at all. Does it? I have my movies on my Time Capsule, which I still have to stream via my MacBook, it can't connect directly.

it's a 360... do they connect to NASs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Whenever I try to change the signal my router broadcasts I end up not being able to use it for about an hour.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eh, for the money, I should just go with an AppleTV and a NAS. That way, I can put all of my music and things on there too.

say I do that... and I buy a new DVD and rip it to my mac. How would I get that into the library on the NAS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.