Am I installing correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
To install something like VLC, this is my process:

I get the .dmg open, it opens in the finder with a .app file. I drag that .app file to the Applications folder and hit the "Eject" button for the .dmg. However, it seems like there are Read Me's and other associated folders that should be stashed somewhere that I may be discarding by hitting Eject after dragging over the .app.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You did it correctly but if you want to read the "readme" you kind of have to save that on your desktop or somewhere on your Hard drive as well. When you hit eject it unmounts the .dmg so the computer can no longer access the files in the .dmg file.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
You did it correctly but if you want to read the "readme" you kind of have to save that on your desktop or somewhere on your Hard drive as well. When you hit eject it unmounts the .dmg so the computer can no longer access the files in the .dmg file.

Thank you. Is there a default spot it'll save the remaining contents to, i.e. yourname/preferences?

Reaction score
Save them where ever you like. And if you were curious as to where the other files that came with it go and you want to know because you would like to uninstall everything associated with that program eventually just download AppCleaner, get's everything in one try =]

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thank you. Is there a default spot it'll save the remaining contents to, i.e. yourname/preferences?

Well where ever you drag and drop the file is where it's going to be. After that you can put the file anywhere you want or just delete it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.