Linking two airport expresses

Reaction score
Hi,
In addition to a couple of other Macs, I brought a Mac G5 Dual processor tower home. The problem is that computer does not have an airport card. My intent is to try to connect this computer to my existing airport express network by using a second airport express. I have connected the new airport express to the G5 via an ethernet cable. The G5 recognizes it as a Base Station, but I can't get the two airport expresses to talk to each other -- let alone get an internet connection to my G5.

The salesperson was quick to say that it was possible to do this but I am having no success. Any thoughts?

Many thanks.

Phil

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
You are going to need an airport extreme or a time capsule to do that. They have ports for wired connections. The express cant be used the way you are hoping.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
Hi,
In addition to a couple of other Macs, I brought a Mac G5 Dual processor tower home. The problem is that computer does not have an airport card. My intent is to try to connect this computer to my existing airport express network by using a second airport express.

Yes you can do exactly this - you do NOT need a base station. The Express can take a Cable or DSL model thru the CAT5 port, OR it can share a wireless connection OUT of the CAT5 port.

First you need to configure both of these Expresses to use WDS (or Extending if you have 802.11n)

In an all-N setup, you just check the "Allow this network to be extended" on the master, and choose "Extend a wireless network" on the remotes.

I have made this setup numerous times before for some of my clients.

You might want to reset the Expresses to factory defaults first, then bring them up one at a time, naming each one so they're easy to distinguish.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.