Recovering Files from a Windows file system

Reaction score
Hi,

my brother's PC recently just fell apart, so I'm trying to recover files from his harddrive. I'm using a Macbook Pro with Leopard. I've put my brother's HD into an external case and I'm opening it up on my Mac. I can view the folder's alright, but when I try to go into his Documents and into certain folders in the Program Files directory, the folders appear to be empty.

I was thinking this might have to do with a permissions thing, but in the info of the folders it said I could read. I've never had a problem viewing NTFS from my mac. Anybody have any insight?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the folders you're trying to view appear to be empty, then they probably are. You should be able to view files and folders on a drive formatted to NTFS from your MBP. NTFS is read only but if there's nothing to read...

If you have another PC available, attach the external case with his drive to the PC and try again.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I agree with chscag- you should be seeing the files. You can do the following via Terminal to track them down by extension if they still exist:

find /Volumes/WINDRIVENAMEHERE -name "*.jpg" (jpg image files as an example).

They may be in a sub-folder under Recycler (under the root of C:.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.