• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Outputting video to Firewire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12.1" Mac OSX 10.3.5
Okay guys, i have a sexeh little Powerbook 12" (recent 04) and i love it. After a little bonus, i went and bought a DVD+RW for my tv and scrapped my old VCR. Now, after having a little fiddle, it seems i can record from iLink (which i understand to be firewire 400).

So after a quick run to the shops, i connected my Firewire 4 to 6 cable up, but now im at a loss.

I'd love to be able to copy all my movies, music vids etc onto DVD and i cant really afford an external DVD+RW drive atm.

Any ideas on a app that can do the job. If it only takes a certain format, i'm sure i can convert the odd DIVx and XVID movies into mpeg or sommat.

Cheers guys!

DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
so you bought a dvd recorder, and are trying to record to the mac? please explain a little better what you are trying to do. in the long run, an external dvd burner would have been much better.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12.1" Mac OSX 10.3.5
Yes a USB2 dvd-+rw would have been better, but that was not my intention. My original idea was to record CableTV/TV to DVD instead of VHS to save space.

Basically, the manual and box of the DVD+RW for my TV, state that it can record IN from the iLink connection. Idea being to hook up a DV-Camcorder and copy from the Camcorder, to DVD.

Simply, my question is, does anyone know of any software to output video from my Firewire port, so that i can input it onto my TV's DVD Recorder?

DB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
So, If I am understanding this correctly, you want a program that when you play your video, outputs through firewire. Now I am not sure of you financial capabilities, or how advanced you want to get. If all you want to do is do that, maybe a little bit of editing or so, Final Cut Express will do the job($99), when you play it in the player it outputs all the video through the firewire, this is because it makes it easier to export to a tape. Now if you want to do HD stuff, you can Get Final Cut Pro HD at a little more then a thousand dollars more then express. Last but not least if you want to do advanced editing but you don't want the HD stuff Final Cut Pro will be good but it is (999$) So those are the options on what I use to put video out of the firewire port. I hope that helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.