G5 Power MAc CD DVD drive door stuck shut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12" 512mb 1.33 Ghz
So I finally got myself a somewhat used G5 dual power mac. It runs fine overall, no problems setting it up, but I haven't used the optical drive in the two weeks I've had it.

Now when I try to open the drive the metal door on the front of the case is just a half centimeter out of alignment so that the top of the metal door hits the bottom of the mesh. I can hear the superdrive drive trying to open, but it pushes the metal door, which won't open and stops.

I've tried taking out the drive and seeing if I can move the door, but it won't seem to budge. Anyone know of a solution to this? Can I somehow remove the external metal door?

I've never pocked around inside a mac so I'm a little bit apprehensive about breaking things.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to www.ifixit.com and search for your G5 model. Look up changing out the optical drive. The site will have step by step instructions plus photos on how to remove the drive and replace it. That might help you figure out how to remove the metal plate and the drive itself if necessary.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Now when I try to open the drive the metal door on the front of the case is just a half centimeter out of alignment so that the top of the metal door hits the bottom of the mesh.
I've tried taking out the drive and seeing if I can move the door, but it won't seem to budge. Anyone know of a solution to this? Can I somehow remove the external metal door?

From what you describe, I would say that the hinge pins of the drive bay door have been forced (upward) out of place, or have not been pushed back into place correctly. I've looked at my old G3 b/w (its drive door is similar to that on your G5) and the hinge pins are just short lugs in slots. You may have some success using the end of needle-nosed pliers to push the lugs into their slots, but you'll probably need to pry the door open first, using a screwdriver.

These may help you: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2580?viewlocale=en_US and http://sharpeningbeneath.com/g5guide/

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12" 512mb 1.33 Ghz
Thanks for the links. I actually got it to pop open on my own. I somehow thought the drive door opened out instead of sliding down. one I realized that, I was able to move it manually with the optical drive removed. It's stuck in the lowered position now, but I don't mind.

I did have trouble re-seating the optical drive. I had to remove the two standoffs that are near the left side of the mac (ie the side that doesn't have a removable panel). It seems to run fine without them, but is this going to put me at risk for some other problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I somehow thought the drive door opened out instead of sliding down.

So did I!!! :[

I had to remove the two standoffs that are near the left side of the mac (ie the side that doesn't have a removable panel). It seems to run fine without them, but is this going to put me at risk for some other problem?

Does it mean the drive is on a slight tilt from <-> (as you look at it front on)? That shouldn't pose a major problem except when trying to insert a disk, in that the tray will slide out on a slight angle; or there may be excessive vibration/noise. Time will tell, but now you know how to get at the optical drive, it might be worth a second attempt to put those standoffs back in place. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.