Card reader?

Reaction score
Why is there no card reader in the mac pro nor a space available to use a third party one?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
first question - beats me.

second question - besides a usb one, what are you talking about?

OP
N
Reaction score
first question - beats me.

second question - besides a usb one, what are you talking about?

I'm talking about a 3.5" internal one, if you've got a £2k machine you don't really want to hang a cheap usb card reader out of the front usb slots, not very stylish or "mac" is it?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
put a usb one on a hub from the back. it's not like it's a macbook/mbp... ;P

i guess you could try to find an adapter to make a 3.5 fit into a 5" drive bay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm talking about a 3.5" internal one, if you've got a £2k machine you don't really want to hang a cheap usb card reader out of the front usb slots, not very stylish or "mac" is it?

Sorry, but I'm as puzzled as Eric about what you mean by a 3.5" card reader :Confused: I'm genuinely interested in what one looks like. Most I'm familiar with are USB plug or cable connected. There are some very stylish ones about, also some appealing USB hubs.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
hugh, it would be something like this:

C250-2076-main-new.jpg

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1270859&sku=C250-2076

i've had 3.5" devices mounted in 5" bays before, so i'm sure it can't be too hard to find an adapter. though really, i think running one off a hub in a discrete place on your desk may be an easier and more elegant solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP
If the looks are the most important factor to you, you could buy a monitor which has a card reader built in. I know Dell displays have these and no doubt other manufacturers offer the same sort of things.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
that's a really good idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.