fan speed problem ibook G4

Reaction score
hello,

This is my first post here , also first time usng any sort of mac so please imagine im an idiot when trying to help me :D

My brother has been having a problem with his ibook G4 running mac osx tiger, the fan goes at full speed constantly . Any help would be much loved :)

thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Is this a hardware problem or a problem with tiger ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this a hardware problem or a problem with tiger ?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Not a problem with Tiger. If the fans on his iBook are running at full speed all the time it could be hardware related. Possibly a defective thermal sensor or it may even be that his iBook is running hot. If the iBook is running hot, the fans will speed up accordingly.

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the reply chscag

I do not believe it is running to hot because the fan is blowing out cold air also the temp meter says it is at 20 degrees.

The weird thing is that yesterday the fans stopped and it worked great for a couple hours now its restarted the fans are going at 100% again.

He does not mind , but last week he had to leave hasty the library because people were complaing about the noise of his computer.

There doesn't happen to be a program to manually change fan speed ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.