First time Mac user needs help connecting Macbook to Airport Express Base Station

Reaction score
hello folks... just got a new MacBook and airport express base station after switching from a PC... never used Mac before and not very computer literate.. love the MB, except for the annoying fact that I can't seem to get it to connect to the airport express base station...

I have installed the Airport Express software that came with the base station. When I go to airport utility and open it, it automatically scans for apple wireless products but can't find the base station.

The base station is plugged in about 3 feet from where I sit with the MB, with nothing obstructing it.. the light flashes amber but just does not connect..

I have wireless internet at home and Airport connects easily to the internet..

Anyone with any ideas how I can get the base station to connect to my MB? I want to use it to play music from iTunes to my home theater system..

All help will be greatly appreciated..

many thanks!

Reaction score
hahaha
ok sorry
there is a little button on the bottom of the express....
hold it down with a paper clip or something until the amber light blinks fast...
keep holding it down and hit rescan on Apple Airport Utility
should show up
Pat

I only laugh because it took me like an hour to figure that out when I got mine like a month ago lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yeah... holding down the little button with a paper clip with do a hard reset. You need to hold it down until the light blinks rapidly.

Then if you go to the computer, you can rescan on Airport Utility and see if it shows up. If it doesn't, have a look and see if you have a network called something like 'Apple Network xxxxx' appear. If so, connect to that and rescan with Airport Utility again.

OP
S
Reaction score
did a hard reset as sugested.. held down the reset button till the amber light blinked a couple of times.. and then restarted and put on airport and scanned the network, but it still isn't detecting the base station...

the base station light in the meantime, starts blinking amber sometime after starting up...

getting quite frustrating...

is it because i'm connected wirelessly to the internet while i run the airport utility to detect the base station???

i tried disconnecting from the wireless network and ran the scan again.. but still no luck detecting the base station...

i don't need to use the base station to connect to the net but was hoping to use it to connect to air tunes and print wirelessly..

very disappointed... its not even detecting the base station...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Did you hold it down until it blinks very rapidly? Not how it is currently blinking?

Did the Apple Network thing show up? Did you try connecting to that and scanning?

Reaction score
For mine the light has to be blinking rapidly...
WHILE you're scanning for it.
Hope that helps

OP
S
Reaction score
well, I pressed down on the reset button till the amber light started blinking rapidly.. I held it down for about 20 secs, as per the instructions in the manual..

then I turned on airport utility on my MB but it still didn't detect the base station...

so now, I guess I should try doing a reset while airport utility is scanning???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.