• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

First long drive...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Wish me luck! I passed my test this week and am now going to visit my grandma, 170 miles away.

Thinking about it, that's probably not that far if you live somewhere big like America, but since I live in the middle of England I can't go much further than that, lol.

So if anyone has any tips relating to long drives or motorways I would love to hear them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I haven't got my license yet, but I figured you should probably get a couple of your favorite songs on CDs so that it'd ease your bore away while driving.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I haven't got my license yet, but I figured you should probably get a couple of your favorite songs on CDs so that it'd ease your bore away while driving.

Why CDs when people have ipods?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Don't text while driving! :]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Try not to fall asleep :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Scary first motorway drive!!!

Don't worry tho, its not that bad, but don't go mad on the speed, remember you only have 6 points on your license before a re-test

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
170 miles? cake.

you may not even need a bathroom break.

my first long drive, when i was about 20, was from northern new jersey to minneapolis minnesota - approximately 1300 miles. other than western ohio and indiana (which were both flat and utterly boring) it was a blast. took two days, drove with friends, only made a few stops for gas/food/stretching. any number of those bits inbetween the stops was at least 200-300 miles.

did the same drive a few years back in 20 hours straight - drove a 93 cadillac eldorado. very comfy, very fast. would have been a shorter trip had i remembered to go well around chicago - instead i spent a couple exta hours fighting mostly stop-and-go traffic.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I arrived safe and sound!

Took the iPod cos I've got an aux input on the radio/cd player thing. Reggae got me through the jams on the M25 without too much swearing.

Did have to stop to pee and have a cigarette...

Scariest bit was coming down the slip road onto the M1 for the first time in my life! Once I was on though, it was just like the A6 but a lot faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
thats cool, road trips are always fun.

i remember the first time i got my license 2 weeks later i took my first long drive to the beach for spring break with some friends :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Congrats on making the long drive. Personally, I would have been a little nervous about making such a long drive with no real driving experience. Glad you made it through ok.

Longest drive I ever made was about 890 miles, by myself, only stopping for gas and food a couple times. I wouldn't really want to do it again.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on making the long drive. Personally, I would have been a little nervous about making such a long drive with no real driving experience. Glad you made it through ok.

I did do about 1500 miles before I passed my test. I guess that's not much when you compare it to years of driving, but I think it's more than the average learner covers in 4 months, ish.

Yeah, feels pretty good. Gotta get myself home again tomorrow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Road trips are a ball.

I once did a drive from San Francisco to San Diego with stops in Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, North Dakota, Sough Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North & South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. By myself.

All of it was on US or State Highways and none was on the the interstate system. I took thirty days to do it and saw a lot of the country and a lot of sights along the way. Two particularly memorable portions are US 50 in Nevada and US 20 in Nebraska. Screaming down the highway at 95 Mph at 2 AM with the moon roof and all the windows open and the stereo blasting, stars like you rarely see anymore all across the sky. Another was the Snowy Peaks range in Medicine Bow National Forest (Wyoming) at Sunset.

That was fun....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
I do wish I lived in a country the size of the US purely for road trip potential, living in a country where you're hardly ever 300 miles away from anywhere else gets a little boring ;)

Europe was loads of fun, but is a little heavy on my bank account ;)

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do wish I lived in a country the size of the US purely for road trip potential, living in a country where you're hardly ever 300 miles away from anywhere else gets a little boring ;)

Europe was loads of fun, but is a little heavy on my bank account ;)

I know... I could take a trip to Scotland, lol.

There's always europe, heading off to Amsterdam next month :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I know... I could take a trip to Scotland, lol.

There's always europe, heading off to Amsterdam next month :).

you should try and get on the autobahn if you are into that sort of thing. I'm 17 and from the US so when I went out to Germany this past summer that was on my list of things to do. But since I didn't have any experience in high speed driving I got my uncle ( who use to race) to "train" me. And let me tell you. Driving an Audi S5 at 255 km/h is the biggest rush that I have ever had. And since the whole thing about caping the autobahn with a speed limit is being debated, right now is as good as time as any.

Just my 2c

And have fun in Amsterdam. It's a beautiful city, except all of the random hippies with their drugs all over the place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.
Driving through central Paris in the middle of the day, totally insane but the best fun you can have with your pants on! :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Tell your grandma all of us here on the Mac forums wish her a hearty hello!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Tell your grandma all of us here on the Mac forums wish her a hearty hello!

i don't know why, but that triggered a worst case scenario in my head...

skahead - "hey gramma, my mates at the mac-forums say cheers!"

gramma - "but love, i'm a pee-cee..."

skahead - "noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.