I Don't Have "Sufficient Priveleges" When Moving or Deleting Some Files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I am trying to move some files off of my MBP and on to my external HD. It got about 3/4 of the way through and said it could not continue because I did not have sufficient privileges to do so... what? This is my computer and I should have all the privileges to do anything, right?! Then, when trying to delete some of said files it says the same thing. What do I need to do to be able to transfer and delete files on my own computer?! Thanks in advance...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of files are you trying to move or delete? There may be a good reason why you can't do so. OS X will keep you from "shooting yourself in the foot" especially if the files are needed for a system process.

Regards.

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
They are only some video files I downloaded, nothing vital.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
highlight the files, get file info in finder, and change permissions at the bottom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
remember, as chscag said, be careful what folders or files you play with, your own docs, pics and movies are ok to play with, system files are best left unless you know exactly what you are doing

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
No doubt, but I would think I should have "permission" to move my own personal files! I will try your advice...

OP
IZVERG
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
... nope, still won't do it. All but one episode of a TV show is doing this to me! Grrrrrrrr

jah

Reaction score
I am trying to move some files off of my MBP and on to my external HD...

tell us more about the external hard drive; how is it formatted, how much space is on the drive? will the drive work on another computer?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
jah has got it i think. i would guess the drive may be formatted NTFS. in which case, you'd be able to read and copy files from it, but not modify/add/delete files to or from it.

you can format FAT32 to have universal access, but you're limited to files of 4GB or less. you could also format HFS+ and then get macdrive for the windows pc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.