Problem

Reaction score
My apologies if this is in the wrong board, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with my current Mac Notebook problem. For some reason, my connectivity is intermittent. Everything can be fine for a couple of hours, when suddenly my wireless connection will just go in an out. 5 bars one second, nothing the next, 3 bars a second later, and then nothing again. Eventually, this cycle will stop, but the cycle seems to be lasting longer than normal recently. This doesn't happen to anyone else in my house.

Can anyone shed any light? How do I stop this?

Thx in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
What Mac do you have? The Wireless or Notebook forum might have been a better options than Desktops, but don't worry, a Mod will move it if they feel the need :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My apologies if this is in the wrong board, but I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with my current Mac Notebook problem. For some reason, my connectivity is intermittent. Everything can be fine for a couple of hours, when suddenly my wireless connection will just go in an out. 5 bars one second, nothing the next, 3 bars a second later, and then nothing again. Eventually, this cycle will stop, but the cycle seems to be lasting longer than normal recently. This doesn't happen to anyone else in my house.

Can anyone shed any light? How do I stop this?

Thx in advance.

You may have a flaky Airport card. First thing to try is a wired connection. If that remains stable, then I'd look harder at the Airport card. It may not be seated properly or perhaps the internal antenna is loose. Since it starts out normal and only gets flaky after a couple hours, there may be a bad solder point somewhere that becomes unreliable after heating up from being on too long, or something along those lines.

Also try a new user account and see if you have problems when logged into that one. If you don't, then the problem is somewhere in your user Library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.