Always Open in Column View

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
ALWAYS View in Columns

Is there a way to set all the folders/icons in Finder to the Column View rather than the default Icon View? This would mean that every time I open the HD or create a new folder, I can view the contents as Columns and not Icons. I know it wasn't possible before in 2002, but seems like it should now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
menu bar > Finder > Preferences

Tick Always open new windows in column view

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
menu bar > Finder > Preferences

Tick Always open new windows in column view

Hmm, that didn't seem to quite work. I've even tried setting up a folder the way I want, then View Options > Apply to All Windows, but it didn't do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
doesn't work all the time, especially with read only media, maybe try a restart

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A similar issue arose in M-F several days ago. See if it helps:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122014

Thanks, but still no fix. Just to further explain myself, here's an example of what I want:

I search for an application in Finder ... I find the folder I want to open ... and I want that folder with all its contents to be shown in the Column view (not as large icons). I've rebooted and these settings still haven't been saved:[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I can't help but think that this is Finder issue. In OS 9 deleting the Finder preferences and then rebooting fixed odd behaviors very nicely, but I'm not certain about OS X. I've looked in Computer > Library but can find no sign of anything that says finder.plist. Perhaps Louishen can advise, or you could post another thread about Finder.

I have 10.4.11 on this machine, and there is no problem with windows in list view (which I think you refer to as Column view). Once I've opened a folder eg. Applications, and arranged the items therein into list view, and then closed that folder window, next time it opens, the arrangement is as I left it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I make this the default viewing option for every folder and hard disk?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remembering column width in LIST view

According to this thread, OS X will remember column widths as long as it's in Column view; however, I much prefer List view. Is it possible to have OS X remember column width in List view?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Additionally, I tried to change the default order of my columns using this tip. I tried it 3x, saved it in BBEdit, but it wouldn't save in BBEedit. It was like I hit 'Save' and it completely ignored me, reverting back to the original settings whenever I re-opened it to check on it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fix: I just created a new untitled folder on the desktop, set it to how I wanted, and made it the default view.

Still, if anyone is as nitpicky as I am and knows a better way, please tell me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.