Powerbook not charging or turning on- causes/repairs?

Reaction score
So I'm thinking of getting a really cheap powerbook with a power problem. As of right now, I'm mainly doing this because I figure it's a cheap way to learn about computer parts and spend some time fiddling around with something in between school and work. If I can get it fixed, that's cool too, but like I said, this is mostly for fun and to get some working knowledge of computer bits and bobs.

So what would you guys think about this? From what I've read online it sounds like it might have something to do with the DC-to-DC board. (Obviously this is just conjecture at this point since I don't have the laptop.)

Here's a description of the powerbook:
"The unit was operational until last month when we took it apart to replace the outer casing, decided against rebuilding and then simply replaced the old casing. I believe a connection from the power source to the board is not connected as it should be for it doesn't take a charge or turn on. If taken apart and examined I'm 90% positive that it can be made to function again with nothing added. Rather than going back in to reconnect the wiring, I am simply selling this unit for parts only but the possiblity of making it run again with a little knowlege of a Mac is very good."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Well, if it's cheap enough that you won't be bothered if it never works, go for it!

I sellotaped the power thingy in my iBook back in place... lol.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Yeah, if it's cheap enough, go for it. What's worst-case? You can part it out if all else fails.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.