MacBook / Mail / Hotmail

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just switched to Mac after years on PC, lovin it by the way.

I have had a Hotmail account for years and would like to continue using it as i am about to head away traveling for a while.
I would like to utilise the "Mail" function / App with the macBook but having quite a few problems.

I have downloaded an app that enables the use of HTTP accounts, i have set up and account (although i think some of the details are incorrect) however, i cannot send or receive mail??

So the question is? what am i doing wrong, can i use the mail function with a Hotmail account or not? If not, what are my options for using the Mail function.....setting up a brand new account using .mac? was hoping to avoid having to buy into .mac

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Hotmail should have some support pages which go over the use of hotmail with POP mail programs.

If all else fails, get a gmail account - they do indeed work with POP programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You can use Hotmail with Mail but I'm pretty sure you need to be a paying account holder?

You don't have to buy into .mac to use the Mail app - a lot of email providers work fine with it - like gmail, yahoo, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.