MBP doing weird things

Reaction score
I got my Macbook Pro in May 2007. I haven't had a single problem with it until yesterday. I unplugged it from the charger. It was fully charged and then randomly at 41% it shut down out of nowhere. The laptop just shut off. So I tried turning it back on, but I saw the gray screen and then it shut off again. I plugged it back in the charger and it was fine. Today I took it out of the charger and it did the same thing at 26%. I've never dropped my laptop or installed new software lately. What's wrong with it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I got my Macbook Pro in May 2007. I haven't had a single problem with it until yesterday. I unplugged it from the charger. It was fully charged and then randomly at 41% it shut down out of nowhere. The laptop just shut off. So I tried turning it back on, but I saw the gray screen and then it shut off again. I plugged it back in the charger and it was fine. Today I took it out of the charger and it did the same thing at 26%. I've never dropped my laptop or installed new software lately. What's wrong with it?

How many cycles are on that battery? Sounds like it may have issues with charge\recharge storage. You can try calibrating it as has been suggested but if that fails, you might want to contact Apple. If you purchased applecare the MBP will be covered under that warranty and Apple will replace the battery if it's defective.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Or go to Apple> About This Mac> More Info...> Power and check the charge capacity as well, if it's 0 or close to you need a new battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Did you try the calibrating thing?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.